Want to be on the cutting edge of home design? According to CBS MoneyWatch, here are the top 5 trends for 2014:
1. Open kitchens: More often than not, kitchens are no longer a separate room. “Lately we’ve seen a focus on entertaining from our clients,” said Jase Frederick, ASID Illinois’ director of communications. “They are looking for spaces that maximize their ability to gather and relax with friends and family.”
2. Neutral colors: Whites, sandy stones, and gray tones will remain popular over bright, bold colors. “There is also a trend towards subtle glamour – neutral palettes with dazzling details,” Frederick said.
3. Universal design: People want to know that their homes will be able to accommodate them as they age so spaces are being designed with long-term residents in mind.
4. Quartz countertops: Factory engineered quartz has the same look and feel as granite, but is more durable and its non-porous surface is easier to clean.
5. Energy efficient and water-saving appliances: Green appliances from touchless faucets to high efficiency shower heads, dishwashers, and toilets have become (and will remain) the standard in most homes.
This post can be found in its original form on CBS MoneyWatch.