What makes us happy at home? Houzz.com asked more than 6,000 people just that—and the results are fascinating.
- 87 percent said that their home design impacts their overall happiness.
- Big windows and comfortable furniture top the list—74 percent and 70 percent, respectively.
- Men are more than twice as likely to derive happiness from a big-screen TV than women.
- Overall, homeowners are happiest in rooms that are clean, organized, and comfortable.
- Rural homeowners prefer the sounds of wildlife, while suburbanites love to hear the conversations among children and family members. City dwellers dig music the most.
- 15% say the kitchen is their happy place.
- Being surrounded by immediate family is preferred.
Illustration: Alice Stevenson