If you’ve got your house ready to show but you’re still living in it, things will invariably end up out of place. Take 15-20 minutes and follow the checklist below to make sure everything’s in shape before you leave your house for a showing.
- Keep all keys, mail, and documents with personal information out of sight.
- Store alcohol and prescription drugs out of view, preferably in a locking cabinet.
- Password protect desktop computers, lock up laptops or take with you.
- Lock up small valuables like jewelry, watches, mp3 players, tablets, etc.
- Remove dishes from the sink.
- Clear counters and tables, store small kitchen appliances out of sight
- Rinse sinks, tubs, showers, and toilets clean.
- Store toiletries in cabinets or drawers, straighten hanging towels.
- Place laundry in covered hampers or otherwise out of view.
- Put toys away – have a bin at the ready for quick pick-ups.
- Secure pets in kennels or preferably out of the house.
Tip – get into the habit of running through this list before you leave the house every morning so you won’t need to worry if someone wants schedule a tour while you’re at work.