Is it possible to take a selfie of a house? Not only is it possible, it’s imperative—88% of prospective homebuyers say that they want to see photos first.
Instagram has set the bar for visual inspiration, with tastemakers, celebrities, and brands posting to the photo-driven social network. So it makes sense that sellers and agents look to the platform for tips on how to best represent homes online.
We rounded up the five most important tips for achieving the ultimate “house selfie.”
1. Snap the details. While it’s important to include major features and overall rooms, it’s also helpful to include details that make the house unique. Whether it’s crown moulding, built-in shelving, or luxe fixtures, show why your home stands apart.
2. Take lots of photos. Taking the “perfect” photo creates a lot of pressure. Once you get into the flow, it’s easy to snap dozens of pics. The more, the better—you’ll find that it’s easier to experiment with composition and lighting when you know you have a large reserve of shots.
3. Be a ruthless editor. Since you have so many photos to choose from, it will be easy to narrow down the best images. Consider diversity when selecting photos to represent your home, both in terms of style and what is shown. Ask for input from trusted sources when reviewing your final selection.
4. Frame, don’t filter. It’s important that the images you choose don’t create a “bait and switch” scenario for prospective buyers. To that end, don’t use filters to enhance your photos. Instead, rely on images that frame the house
5. Follow influencers for inspiration. If you feel unsure of what makes a good photo, follow some design influencers on Instagram to learn more. Here are just a few of our personal favorites: